On Facebook the other day, I saw a large number of people complaining about the Coca-Cola commercial "America the Beautiful" still. Even though the Superbowl is now long gone, people are STILL talking about the commercial put out by the soda company. I can't even count the number of posts I saw that said something related to "This is America, we speak ENGLISH here!"
I can't even understand the people that believe this idea that only English speaking individuals can be American's and "belong" in this country. I have a really hard time having pride in my country when so many people are hateful and close-minded. I think that if everyone at least tried to keep an open mind, we could all learn to love each other.
There are many people in this country that are uneducated and uninformed which is unfortunate because Americans have the most opportunities for this not to be the case. Ignorance is the cause for hate; people are scared of what they don't know (foreign cultures, other languages, a competitive global market). America has never had an official language -- English just happens to be the most common.
ReplyDelete